Sunday, January 24, 2010

Standing On a Frozen Pond - Building Bridges

Today Daniel and I went out in search of the phantom building that eluded me yesterday. We came up empty. I showed him that cool gymnasium I found yesterday and the park with all the birds. Today there were no kids, but a couple let their dog off the leash and he continued to run out on the pond and raise havoc among the peaceful birds. The ice was really thick, 4 - 5 inches, so we got a picture of each of us on it. I've never gotten to do that before. I had to go meet my studio group soon after that so we headed back.


It's really amazing how fast people can adapt to a completely new environment. I find myself not hesitating when jumping off the train in a busy station, and not watching the tiny blips disappear until my station, rather it is becoming instinctual. I just know where to go. The landmarks are becoming my landmarks. I still have no idea what people are saying to me when I buy groceries, but at least I know what I'm buying. It's a funny thing, here a plastic bag costs money, so everyone stuffs their groceries into their bags, which is why there is a grocery store on almost every corner. Another thing... people follow directions here. When the light flashes red, people actually wait for it to turn green before walking, even if there are no cars coming. There are a lot of little things of that.

Today I had to meet my studio group for the first project. It's not my actual studio, but rather a mixture of all the studios for a conglomerate of designers. There is an interior design major from Pratt Institute, an Architecture major from California Polytechnic Institute State University, and my Mentee for the semester a pre-Architecture student from Brown University. Together we have to analyze and present information on a Chapel in Turku, Finland. We are actually going to see it in March - where we have to give an oral presentation to everyone there. It should be beautiful from all the pictures I have researched. I will describe it in full when I actually visit.

3 comments:

  1. Daniel is actually wearing the scarf I made him!! So handsome : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I want one too. Very nice Kristina.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh, you both look frozen!!! Kristina, you can knit? I'll take one too. the guys can sell them in Cph to make a little extra cash! Handmade in the U.S.A.!

    ReplyDelete