Monday, January 18, 2010

Moving on Up

About five in the morning while staying our first night in the hostel I awake on the top bunk to see some European guy bending over, butt in Daniel' vicinity, wearing nothing but some purple panties. I had to bite my lip to keep from laughing. Who checks out of a hostel at 5 am? I just hope Daniel doesn't get pink eye. 

I couldn't get back to sleep, and I don't think Daniel slept either. We checked out of the hostel about 9:30 and walked a mile in the chill with all of our luggage to the DIS arrival. It was packed, but there was free food and water. I made a small stockpile for later. Saving everywhere I can. 


We checked in and got our food stipend, somehow missed a whole satchel full of important documents and information regarding our orientation and got on a bus heading toward our shared housing. Everyone is very nice and evidently very excited. We unpacked our stuff, surveying our 300-400 sqft. apartment. If Daniel gets on my nerves I can almost hit him from anywhere in the room without getting up. It's easy to keep warm though. 


They gave us brand new towels, sheets, and a down comforter with an absolutely terrible duvet cover. It feels like sandpaper. We decided to just leave that off. It was a Moroccan theme anyway. Didn't work. After we unpacked we took a nap, the cold just does that to you evidently, plus we are still adjusting. 


DIS took everyone living at TÃ¥singegade out to dinner, Salim, a Thai restaurant. It was pretty delicious. I haven't had white starchy rice in a long time. After that we walked to a bar and watched the very excited students begin to toss their food stipend away. Dan and I went back early, but not before I had a nice talk with Ruben, one of the DIS staff who lives right next door to us. He is a technical Architect/ Student. 


This morning Daniel and I were split up into different groups. I went to the opening ceremony and then helped some girl find the DIS building, both buildings were built before the Declaration of Independence. Pretty cool. The fresh snow makes everything very pure and beautiful. I will try to post some pictures soon of that. 

I have Intense Danish Immersion Lesson in about an hour which will finish up my day. 

1 comment:

  1. Matt, keep in mind, if you get on Daniel's nerves he can in turn reach YOU from anywhere in the room, too!! 300-400 square feet? is there storage for your clothes built in? can't wait to see the snow...and good for you not throwing your stipend away
    !!!!!

    ReplyDelete